In India, rice is consumed in great quantities by all members of society. There are numerous ways in which it can be
prepared. Vegetarian rice is one of them. This rice makes a very good accompaniment to many chicken and vegetarian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Basmati rice – 2 cups (250 gm)
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Fine Cumin seeds, fine – 1 teaspoon
- Onion, chopped – 1 large
- Peas – ½ cup
- Carrot, chopped into small pieces – 1
- Beans, chopped into small pieces – 50 gm
- Salt – 2 teaspoon or to taste.
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Water, warm – 3½ cups
- Wash rice thoroughly in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry 1 teaspoon cumin seeds for 5 seconds. Then add the onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables, i.e. peas, carrots and beans. Reduce heat and fry them for 2 minutes. Cover the lid and keep
stirring occasionally. Do this for another 3 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and mix gently. Then add rice and mix well with the remaining ingredients. Do
not over stir the rice as this might lead to the rice grains breaking.
- Add 3½ cups of warm water. Stir it occasionally to avoid burning.
- Let it cook until both rice and vegetables are soft. Serve hot!
You can use any vegetables you like i.e. cauliflower, pepper, potato, broccoli and others. You can also substitute
vegetables with dry fruits, cooked prawns, diced fried chicken pieces, mushrooms or anything else of your preference.
Use the same measuring cup for measuring both the rice and water! Use warm water while making rice to speed up
the process, thereby reducing cooking time!