Toor dal is a shiny split lentil. North Indians consider it the king of all dals and eat it almost daily. Most dals,
including Toor dal, have very high protein content and nutritional value.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Toor Dal – 250 gm
- Onions, chopped – 1 large
- Green Chilli – 1
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 50 gm
- Coriander, freshly chopped – 1 small bunch.
- Salt – 2 teaspoon or to taste.
- Water – 500 ml
- Wash the dal and add salt to it. Put in a pressure cooker or pan and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- If cooking in a pan, stir continuously to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- In another pan, melt butter. Add onions, green chilli and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add chillie powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add this spice mixture to the dal and stir well. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve hot.
Use the same recipe for any other dal like mansoor dal, chana dal, moong dal to make an equally delicious dish.
Having a pressure cooker to make dal is a good investment. It cooks dal very quickly, thus saving time!