Fish is a very popular dish along the coastal areas in India and elsewhere. This dish has evolved as a result of trying
to make something quick, easy and simple!. It can be eaten hot or cold, as a starter or as a main dish.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Salmon fillet, skinless and boneless – 700 gm
- Butter – 100 gm
- Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or to taste.
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Chillie Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon Sticks, 5 cm long – 2
- Cut the salmon fillet into small square pieces and keep them in an oven-proof dish. Add salt, oil and all the spices, i.e.
turmeric, cumin, chillie, garam masala to the fish. Mix all the ingredients well with your hands ensuring they coat the
salmon pieces evenly.
- Put knobs of butter on top of the fish about 4 cms apart. Drop some cinnamon sticks on top.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180º C for 10 minutes. Put the dish in the oven and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Put the fish under a grill for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot with rice or Indian Bread.
Salmon can be substituted with any other fish that cooks easily. Cooked Prawn can also be used for the same recipe.
You can make the same dish by deep frying the spicy fish in a pan, rather than in an oven. It is much quicker but
slightly trickier to prevent the fish from breaking in a pan!