In India, rice is consumed in great quantities by all members of society. There are numerous ways in which it can be prepared. Peas
Pulao is one of them. This rice makes a very good accompaniment to many chicken and vegetarian dishes and can be eaten on its
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Butter OR Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds, fine – 1 teaspoon
- Clove – 4
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon Sticks – 2
- Green Chilli, chopped – 2
- Peas – 1 cup
- Water – 3 ½ cups
- Salt – 2 teaspoon or to taste.
- Coriander, finely chopped – 1 small bunch.
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee OR butter in a pan. Add 2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 4 cloves, 2 cardamom, 2 sticks of cinnamon, 2 chopped green chillies
and fry for a minute.
- Add peas followed by the soaked rice. Stir it gently and add 3 ½ cups of water. Use the same measuring cup for measuring both
rice and water!
- Add 2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and allow to cook over medium heat. Cook rice for 10-15 min or until rice
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Vegetarian Pulao or Chicken/Mutton/Prawn Pulao can be made in the same way. Simply substitute the peas with lightly fried
vegetables, diced chicken/mutton pieces or prawns.
Use the same measuring cup for measuring both the rice and water! Use warm water while making rice to speed up the process,
thereby lessening cooking time!