Raita is served to cool the effect of hot curries. There are many variations to this dish, cucumber and mint raita being
the most common.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Yoghurt – 500 gm
- Water – 100 ml
- Salt –1 teaspoon or to taste.
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon (Optional)
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Crushed cumin seeds, roasted – 1 teaspoon
- Mint paste – 2 tablespoon
- Place the yoghurt in a large bowl and whisk gently. Add water to it and whisk again to remove all lumps. Carry on
whisking until you are left with a thin yoghurt mixture.
- Add salt, chilli powder, sugar, cumin seeds and mix well. Then add the mint paste and mix gently.
- Keep in the refrigerator for half an hour and serve chilled with any hot curry or simply on its own.
Add grapes, walnuts and banana slices to the yoghurt mixture and fold gently before the bananas turn brown. Add
sugar, salt and ground cumin and mix together.
Serve Raita chilled! Just before serving, sprinkle cumin seeds, chilli powder or paprika for taste!