This delicious and light dessert is the perfect end to a spicy meal. It can be served hot or cold.
Preparation time: 1 hour
- Milk, full fat – 1 ½ litre
- Sugar – 7 tablespoon
- Cardamom pods – 4
- Saffron – 20 strands approximately.
- Pistachios, crushed – 20
- Add milk in a large saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add cardamom pods, sugar, 6-7 strands of saffron and let it boil for 30 – 40 minutes, with occasional stirring to
avoid sticking to the saucepan. Keep on medium heat constantly.
- When the milk reduces to half its original quantity, it is nearly ready. Take it off the heat at this stage and allow to
- Pour in small bowls. Add crushed pistachios and few strands of saffron on top for decoration. Serve either hot or
Add fried vermicelli, raisins, crushed cashew nuts and almonds for a slight variation.
Refrigerate kheer for a few hours to let it thicken; this also changes its texture!