Green rice, as the name suggests, is green in colour. It is rice fried with green herbs and spices and is a meal in itself.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Spinach, chopped and blend to fine puree – 1 bunch.
- Onions, finely chopped – 2 medium
- Green chilies, chopped – 4 or as per taste.
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or as per taste.
- Ghee or butter – 4 tablespoon
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water is clear.
- Boil a large pan of water and add 2 teaspoon of salt to it. Cook rice for 5-8 minutes or until it is half cooked. Keep
stirring occasionally to ensure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Drain off the excess water and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Fry the cloves, cinnamon, green chilies and onions until golden in color.
- Then add spinach puree, salt and cook until the raw smell of the spinach disappears.
- When the ghee floats on the top of the spinach mixture, add cooked rice and mix well.
- Mix well so that the spinach puree mixes well with rice. Serve hot.
Make chutney in a blender using coriander, green chilies, mint and ginger. Add this to the rice and fry with a ghee or
butter. Add peas to it.
Soak rice in advance. This semi-cooks it and reduces cooking time considerably. It also makes the rice grains appear