Okra, or lady’s finger, has recently become very popular at Indian take aways. This dish is usually served as a
vegetarian side dish. It makes an excellent accompaniment with Roti or rice.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Okra – 600 gm
- Oil - 150 ml
- Onion Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies, slit – 2
- Onions, chopped – 2 large
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or to taste.
- Coriander, freshly chopped – 1 small bunch.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add 1 teaspoon onion seeds, green chillies, onions and fry for 3-4 minutes or until the onions
have turned golden brown.
- Lower heat. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon salt
and fry for another minute.
- Next, add the okra and turn heat to high. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add some coriander next.
- Cover the lid and allow to cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh coriander.
Add desiccated coconut, cumin powder, red chillie powder and yoghurt for a spicier dish.
Wash okra before chopping rather than after chopping it! Mixing a teaspoon of turmeric and some salt before frying
makes it crispier and crunchier in taste.