In India, rice is consumed in great quantities by all members of society. There are numerous ways in which it can be
prepared. Capsicum rice is one of them.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Rice – 3 cups
- Water – 4½ cups
- Mixed Pepper (Capsicum), chopped – 4 large
- Green Chillies, finely chopped – 3 or to taste.
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 small piece.
- Oil – 5 tablespoon
- Mustard – 2 teaspoon
- Urad Dal – 2 teaspoon
- Chana Dal – 2 teaspoon
- Peanut – 5 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon (Optional)
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Desiccated coconut – 50 gm
- Salt – 3 teaspoon or to taste.
- Lime Juice – 3 teaspoon
- Coriander, finely chopped – 1 small bunch.
- Wash rice in water a few times until it is clean. Boil it in 4 ½ cups of water for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Once all
the water has dried up, rice is ready. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Chop mixed pepper, chillies and ginger. Add oil in a pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, peanuts,
curry leaves, turmeric powder, green chillies, ginger and fry for a minute.
- Then add all the mixed pepper and fry till they are soft. Add desiccated coconut, salt and lime to this.
- Add rice to these fried ingredients and mix well. Take it off the heat, garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve hot!
You can replace capsicum with onions, peas, dry fruits or any other vegetable of your choice. You can also substitute
green chillies with red chilli powder.
This can be made from left over rice. It can also be prepared in advance and refrigerated for later use! Use the same
measuring cup for measuring both rice and water!