Bhelpuri is a snack synonymous with the beaches of Mumbai (Bombay). The snack is available all across India, and may
be known by different names – ‘Jhaal Muri’ in Kolkata (Calcutta). It is usually made with puffed rice, Bhujiya, (fried
snack made from gram flour), freshly chopped vegetables and two different ‘chutneys’ - one spicy chutney made of green
chilli and the other sweet chutney made of dates or tamarind.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Puffed Rice / Rice Crisps – 250 gm
- Potato, boiled and chopped into small pieces – 2 medium
- Onion, finely chopped – 1 big
- Tomatoes, finely chopped – 1 large
- Indian Snack Mixture – 200 gm (Also known as ‘Haldiram's Bombay Mix’.)
- Bhujiya – 100 gm (Also known as ‘Sev’.)
- Fresh Coriander, chopped – handful.
Green Chutney: Blend all the ingredients listed below (in a blender) to make a paste. (Takes 2 minutes.)
- Coriander – one small bunch.
- Green Chillies – 4
- Lime Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Water – few teaspoons to make a smooth paste. (Exact quantity would depend on type of blender used.)
Sweet and sour chutney:
Boil everything listed below (except chillie cumin powder) till they reduce by half. Blend to a paste and let it cool. Mix the
chillie cumin powder. Taste the chutney and modify to own taste. (Takes 15 minutes.)
- Tamarind pulp – 50 gm
- Pitted dates, chopped – 6
- Jaggery – 150 gm
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Hot Water – 250 ml
- Roasted Chillie Cumin Powder – ½ teaspoon (or as per taste.)
- Boil potatoes and cut into small pieces. Chop onions and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Take puffed rice OR rice crisps in a large bowl, add the potato, onion, tomato, Indian snack mixture and mix well.
- On your plate, serve the bhelpuri mixture. Pour a few teaspoons (as per taste) of both the chutneys on top of the bhelpuri.
- Sprinkle some ‘bhujiya’ and some freshly chopped coriander on top.
- Serve straightaway while it is still crispy and fresh!
Add pomegranate seeds or diced raw mango for better taste. Add freshly chopped green chillies if you like the bhelpuri to
be extra hot!
Puffed rice and rice crisps turn soggy very quickly when left out in the air. Serve straightaway while it is still crispy and