Potato is a popular vegetable all over the world – in all shapes and forms. Aloo La Jawab, in Hindi, simply means a
delicious potato dish!!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Potato, boiled and cut into quarters – 500 gm
- Oil – 150 ml
- Turmeric – 1½ teaspoon
- Whole Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Onions, chopped in long slices – 2 large
- Green Chilli, finely chopped – 2
- Curry Leaves – 12
- Tomato puree – 3 tablespoon. (Can be substituted with fresh tomato or tinned tomato.)
- Salt – 1½ teaspoon or to taste.
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds, white – 2 tablespoon
- Coriander, freshly chopped – 1 small bunch.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to water and semi-boil the potatoes with its skin on. Peel off the skin and cut into quarters.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and reduce heat to low. Take extra precaution to ensure the oil is not overheated. If it is, take it
off the hob (electric or gas) and let it cool before adding anything to it. When it is warm, add turmeric powder, cumin
seeds, mustard seeds and fry for 5-6 seconds. Then add all the potato and let it fry on high heat.
- Stir the potato gently to allow heat and oil to cook all of them evenly. Take precaution not to over stir as this might
break the potato. If you think the oil has dried out (as often is the case), dribble a few extra tablespoon of oil at this
- When most of the potatoes are light brown, add the sliced onions, green chilli, curry leaves, tomato puree and continue
stirring gently. Reduce heat and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook over low heat for another 5 minutes with occasional
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, ginger paste, cumin powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Mix all the ingredients gently and
cook over medium heat with occasional stirring for another 5 minutes. Remove the lid; give it one final stir before
adding sesame seeds and chopped coriander for garnishing. Serve hot with rice, naan, chapatti or eat it on its own.
You can add other mixed vegetables with the basic ingredients. You can also follow the same recipe for pumpkin or
sweet potato, substituting it for potato.
If you like eating potato skin, leave the skin on after boiling! This tastes quite delicious.