This authentic dish belongs to the very traditional vegetarian family. Though the basic ingredients are the same, the
taste varies all over India. The spices complement the taste of cauliflower.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cauliflower, cut into small florets – 1 big
- Potato, cut into small pieces – 2 medium
- Oil – 100 ml
- Whole Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chilli, finely chopped – 1 large
- Onions finely chopped – 1 large
- Ginger grated – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic grated – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato finely chopped – 1 large. (Can be substituted with tomato puree or tinned tomato.)
- Turmeric – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon or to taste.
- Red chillie powder – ½ teaspoon
- Water – 50 ml
- Green peas – ½ cup.
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander, finely chopped – 1 small bunch.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds, green chillie and fry for 5-6 seconds. Then add onions. Let
it fry on medium heat till it is golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomato, turmeric powder to it and stir well. Then add potato and cauliflower.
- Keep stirring the cauliflower and potato. Allow heat and oil to cook all of them evenly. Take precaution not to over
stir as this might break the florets.
- When most of the cauliflowers and potato are light brown, add salt and red chillie powder. Reduce heat, add water
and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook over low heat for another 5 – 7 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Open the lid and add green peas, garam masala and cumin powder. Mix all the ingredients gently and cook over
medium heat with occasional stirring for another 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and give it one final stir before adding
the chopped coriander for garnishing. Serve hot with rice, naan, chapatti or eat it on its own.
You can add freshly chopped curry leaves, diced carrots or mixed vegetable with the basic ingredients. You can also
follow the same recipe for Broccoli, substituting it for cauliflower.
Aloo gobi can be frozen in small freezer bags for consumption later! De-frost and warm thoroughly before eating!